Thursday, February 3, 2011

Masterpiece Special: The Unseen Alistair Cooke

Coming Sunday to Masterpiece Classic is an encore presentation of The Unseen Alistair Cooke, a special celebrating the life of the renowned Masterpiece Theatre host. Here's a bit about the special:
Armed with a video camera and ambition, Alistair Cooke came to America in the 1930s. He crisscrossed the country, recording his encounters with the American scene and celebrities. On Sunday, February 6, 2011, MASTERPIECE re-airs The Unseen Alistair Cooke, which tells Cooke's story with his own footage and words, offering an admiring look at the celebrated observer of America.
I'm really looking forward to this program. I can vaguely remember some Cooke introductions to Masterpiece Theatre productions when I was a kid, and I can remember my mom talking about how she just loved his introductions. The man was an institution in the very best sense of that term.

4 comments:

Phylly3 said...

Well, I am admitting my advanced age, but I clearly remember Alistair Cooke's wonderful introductions. He always whetted my whistle for the the excitment to come! :)

Deborah said...

i think there also needs to be an Alistair Cookie retrospective. you totally need to do a post on Monsterpiece Theater. I think a bunch of them are on Youtube. (i do hope you know what I'm talking about or else I look slightly quirky right now :)

Olavo Marques said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

@phylly3 - I know, he was such a class act!

@Deborah - Oh my gosh, I'd completely forgotten about Monsterpiece Theater! Gonna have to look some clips up on YouTube!